KDA & Garden Pathways presents Summer Dance Camp: Arts + Mentoring
July 22-24, 2016
KDA is pleased to present the Summer Dance Camp: Arts + Mentoring in partnership with Garden Pathways. With generous support from the Bakersfield Californian Foundation, the camp will host three days of high caliber dance taught by current industry professionals.
Dance Guest Artists/Mentors:
Joshua Blake Carter, Dancer – Giordano Dance Chicago
Fernando Duarte, Dancer – Joffrey Ballet
Saleemah Knight, Professor of Dance – USC Glorya Kaufman School of Dance
Dr. Suzanne Knosp, Professor of Dance – Univ. of Arizona School of Dance
Friday, July 22 | 1:00-6:00
Saturday, July 23 | 9:00-5:00
Sunday, July 24 | 9:00-3:00 (performance @ 1:30 open to the public)
Location: KDA Dance Studio at Garces Memorial High School
No audition. Minimum 3 years dance experience required.
Cost: $150/KDA Members, $175/non-KDA Members
Scholarships are available.
Registration: Email email@example.com and state “SAVE MY PLACE”- an official registration will be available soon.
Dance Camp Overview
The Summer Dance Camp: Arts + Mentoring is rooted in the mission to mentor young people through the arts, specifically dance. Through the guidance of professionals in the field, dancers will be encouraged to explore a variety of dance related resources to further develop their dance education. Dancers will train in technical dance disciplines, learn about anatomy and injury prevention, dance history, music theory, dynamics, aesthetics, body awareness, and performance.
A final dance showcase will culminate the camp. Students will have the opportunity to perform material developed during the camp. Camp Mentors will outline their experiences, influences, and expertise in the field of dance and a Q&A session will be available for students and the audience to pose questions.
Dance Camp Dress Code:
- Females – Form fitting clothing, preferably black leotards and black tights. Yoga pants, bicycle shorts and form fitting tops are also acceptable. Please NO BAGGY DANCEWEAR.
- Males – Form fitting clothing, preferably tee shirts, jazz pants/black tights. Dance belt, if needed or suspenders to hold up tights. Gym shorts and/or bicycle shorts are also acceptable. Please NO BAGGY DANCEWEAR.
- Feet – shoes will be determined based upon the specific class.
- Hair – Hair must be swept back and secured properly.
Safety Clause – No gum or wrist/finger jewelry is allowed during class. Please be prepared to have kneepads for every class.
Dance Camp Essentials:
Dancers are encouraged to bring the following to the Dance Camp:
- Healthy Snacks
- Notebook/Journal for Writing Assignments
- Yoga Mats
- Knee Pads
- Appropriate Foot Attire: Ballet Shoes, Jazz Shoes, Tennis Shoes, and Black Socks
Dance Camp Final Showcase Performance:
Sunday, July 24 @ 1:30 PM
KDA Dance Studio at Garces Memorial High School
Family and friends of participating dancers are invited and encouraged to attend the final showcase performance.
Dance Camp Final Showcase Performance Admission is FREE